Finty.co the Best Repair Shop Management Software 💪30-Day Free Trial ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Why do laptops shutdown automatically?

Monireh Makhour

Staff member
Golden

Laptop keeps shutting down?! There are 2 types?!

1: It shuts down at a fixed time
2: It shuts down randomly

Shutting down at a fixed time:

In this case, the shutdown problem can be caused by the ME-REGION of Bios which needs to be cleared (clear ME-REGION) and then you need to reprogram cleared ME file. Or the device turns OFF at a fixed time because Bios ME is not compatible with components such as CPU, chipsets….

In some cases, by upgrading CPU of devices with Pentium or Celeron to Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7, the device turns OFF at a specific time and the problem doesn’t get solved by clearing ME so you need to change the CPU with one that is compatible with other components.

Shutting down randomly:

If a device shuts down in a random time, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a couple of hours, in this case, it can be temperature related problems. This includes: failure of fan, heat sink, thermal sensor, absence of silicone paste and thermal pad, dusty fan, overheating chipsets because of cold soldered pins, problematic internal circuits of chipset, capacity reduction of capacitors, burned audio and network ICs and sometimes the Bios file is not compatible with the device and so on..

For example, EMC2102 thermal sensor in Dell N4030 laptop had a problem and that caused the laptop to turn off randomly which was solved by changing that sensor.

Another laptop was serviced once and then it had the problem of constantly turning OFF in random times. And by checking the issue, we found out that, the adhesive between fan and heat sink was removed while servicing and air was passing through them, causing the laptop to shut down constantly. Sometimes not paying attention to these details can be the cause of time-consuming and exhausting problems.

If your device shuts down in random times and the chipset overheats, make sure to install a metal heatsink and apply silicone paste on the PCH chip to let out the heat and check if there would be any difference in the time of shutting down. This is how you can find out if the problem originates from the chip or not.

Good luck!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic